Window shapes

This morning it was raining and it inspired me to post this art project that's great for rainy days.
A year ago we cut out geometric shapes from cling vinyl we bought at a craft store.  What I bought was Grafix ClingVinyl in 9"X12" sheets.  I cut various colors using a paper cutter into strips.  I then cut the strips into rectangles, squares, triangles, and circles.  Then I peeled the back paper off and stuck them to the window. 
If you know me and don't want to go through that process you can email me and I'll send you some of my extras.  
You can cut any shapes you want really, but I thought sticking to geometric would be fun for a couple of reasons.  One reason is to recognize that all things are made up of the basic geometric shapes to start with- so what can you make using just the basic geometric shapes?  Another reason is I think it encourages more creativity- if you already have shapes of actual objects what more can you do with them than stick them on the window? 
I love watching my kids stand at the window on a rainy day making pictures and talking about what they are putting together to create a whole story.






2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Are they easily removed or changed into new positions? How are they stored? Do they lose their "stick?" I have seen a clear plastic cut outs and a water spray bottled used to engage a similar activity, but I am wondering which would work best.
    Thanks
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a cling vinyl so very easily removed and changed into new positions. I left them on my window for a long time (a few months)letting my kids play with them whenever they wanted. After awhile of the dog always knocking them off I just put them in a little ziploc bag. You could store them in anything. They might stick to each other, but easily pull apart. Sometimes they lost their stick, but I think that had something to do with the weather and my glass. Also, when the window is dirty form little sticky hands and the clings get dirty they don't stick as well. Just washing them and the window seemed to work for me. Again they lasted months and my kids played with them until most the pieces got lost. I've never tried the water spray activity. Let me know if you try either or both and how it worked for you; or if you have more questions. Thanks for the comment and questions. :-)

    ReplyDelete