Traveling Through Time by Bicycle -1400-1800's (Printmaking)


Printmaking!  I love this one. :-)  Okay, I love lots of them.  This one was a big surprise for students though, which makes it really fun- discovering a whole new world they never knew existed.  I did not get a lot of people to sign up for this one the first session, but once they saw what it was they signed up for it the next session.
For younger kids we did stamping with different items dipped in paint, but ages 6+ I let carve a rubber block and print with it.
I had a poster I made again with different printmaking styles and famous print makers:  Rembrandt, Albrecht Durer, Hokusai, Hiroshige, Gustave Dore, and of course Gutenberg and his press that changed the world- with printing more people could learn to read. 

Supplies:

From Blick I purchased:
the large 4 1/2" bamboo baren (but you can also use the back of a spoon)
a 4" hard rubber roller (item #40101-1004
Lino cutter set (item #40216-1001)
Blick water soluble printing ink in black 5oz tube
E-Z-Cut printing blocks, box of 2 4"X6"
 
Paper (I have large pad of smooth watercolor paper that I cut into 4X6" rectangles, but any heavy weight paper should work; try some newsprint too- experiment with different types of paper to see the different results.)
plexi-glass

Directions:
Step 1:  Decide what you want your print to look like.  Make some sketches.
Step 2:  Pencil draw it on your block.  *REMEMBER! IT WILL PRINT OPPOSITE OR BACKWARDS OF WHAT YOU DRAW* (I got really super excited when I got my nice package of supplies and started carving away and when I was finished I remembered I needed to carve it backwards or "mirror image" ;-P -don't make my mistake)
Step 3:  Use the cutting tools to carve your block

Step 4:  Brush off your block so it is clean
Step 5:  Put a dab (like a tablespoon or so) of ink on the plexi-glass
Step 6:  Roll the ink with the roller so it covers the roller fairly evenly

Step 7:  Use the roller to cover your whole block evenly with ink

Step 8:  Place your paper on the block

Step 9:  With even pressure use the baren to rub over your paper

Step 10:  Carefully lift your paper off the block
Step 11:  If you'd like to print a second lighter one repeat steps 8-10.
Step 12:  Rinse off your block, wash your hands, and pat your block dry with a paper towel.

If you'd like to make more repeat steps 7-10 :-)



This is an amazing tactile experience for kids, I just love it.  The carving, the stickiness of the ink, the rolling it- it's a serious but very enjoyable process.
Some things to note:  I got all supplies I used from Dick Blick except the paper and the plexi-glass.  I checked the internet for some local glass and/or plexi-glass suppliers.  I found a local place (A-1 Acrylics incorporated) that sells scraps for $1 a lb. (I bought 3 pieces totalling 3lbs. and $3).
The rubber blocks we used were thick enough to carve both sides and have two printing blocks IF the students were careful not to carve too deep.  Also if carved to deep they break easily.  I let kids use one block we shared to practice on so they knew what it felt like to carve with the tools before starting their own.  It isn't as hard as it looks.
We did this in my garage in the summer and in the first class I noticed as the day wore on the ink would start to melt and thin in the heat and humidity.  The next time I did it I kept the ink in the air conditioned house when not using it and that helped it keep it's tackiness.  You want the ink to have a nice balance between tacky and smooth so the ink rolls onto your block better.  You'll be able to tell a difference and find that balance once you've rolled the ink and made a few prints.  I purchased one 5oz. tube and it lasted for all my classes (about 30 kids) making a handful of prints each and I still have some ink leftover.  The ink I bought is washable and seems to have washed off the supplies well with water and out of the aprons we wore, but I still recommend wearing an apron and not your best outfit.
Also remember to wipe your block clean between inking it- if you let dried ink build up on your block you will have bumps in your print.
I also noticed on Blick's website they have videos about printmaking if you are interested (see the link in supplies).










No comments:

Post a Comment