Traveling Through Time by Bicycle- Early 1900's (Fauvism and the Blau Reiter Group)


Speedily moving through history on the third set of lessons we learned about the Fauv group of French painters and the German group of friends known as the Blau Reiter or Blue Rider group.  These painters, while not necessarily associated with each other, during this style of painting used very vibrant and expressive colors.  The movement didn't last long, but is clearly (in my opinion) the natural transition from traditional painting to abstract.  At the time it was considered horrific- the colors were shocking, and to paint something not it's natural color?; a horrid disrespect to the human body, God, and nature.  For us, it's just fun.  We see colors like this around us all the time now. :-) 
I also had the students look around- what colors do you see in something?  This bush might look green, but what about in the shadow?  Is it a little bit blue or purple? A fauv painter would paint it blue or purple.  The sunny part that looks more yellow green? It would get painted yellow or yellow green.  What turned out to be the perfect example I wasn't planning on was my red van in the driveway.  The sky was reflecting in the hood so it actually looked purple with pink clouds if you looked at it instead of letting your brain tell you it's red.  This is a very abstract concept and very hard for some personalities to see so I didn't push the issue but did want to make sure I pointed it out.  Some kids laughed at me and said it's red.  That's okay.
For our paintings I asked the class to paint a bicycle, or something they might see or scenery they might see while riding a bike.  I also gave them the rule of only using colors- no black or brown.  If they wanted black or brown they'd have to come up with a different color.  I also tried hard to get the kids to fill up the entire page, but that's easier said than done for some kids.
If you like this style here's some artists to look into:  Andre Derain, Henri Matisse, Maurice de Vlaminck, Wassily Kandinsky, Franz Marc, August Macke, Jawlensky, and Gabrielle Munter.

Supplies:
paint brushes
tempera paint (I'm a huge fan of Blick's colors- but they are not all washable from all fabrics)
paper (I used yellow bulletin board type paper so we would start off bright and so I could cut large pieces)
water for rinsing brushes
paper towels for cleaning up spills

Paint away!  Here's some of my favorites:








No comments:

Post a Comment